The Esther Baker Scholarship
The Esther Baker AISLE Scholarship was created in 2015 in memory of Esther Baker who passed away in 2014. Esther was one of the original Founders of AISLE and served as the Revisionist currently called Bylaws and Policy Function Representative since the beginning. In honor of Esther, one scholarship per year will be awarded up to $1000.00 for tuition related to coursework leading to licensure each year.
(AISLE Policy: 3024.6)
- The Esther Baker AISLE Scholarship Award is designed to encourage students who wish to gain licensure to work in Illinois schools specifically as a high school librarian.
- The applicant shall be enrolled in a college or university that has been approved for its undergraduate or graduate programs, including online programs, by the American Library Association or the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (previously NCATE), working towards licensure in Illinois School Libraries.
- The applicant shall be an Illinois resident.
- The applicant shall be a member of AISLE.
- The applicant shall be recommended by a current AISLE member.
- The applicant shall carry a minimum of 3.0 G.P.A. on a 4.0 grading scale.
Application and Selection
- Applicants must complete the application form in its entirety and submit it electronically as a PDF to email@example.com by 11:59 PM on February 1.
Click here to download the Application Form. Complete and save as a PDF to submit.
- Applications must be timestamped between November 15 and February 1 to be considered by the Grants Committee. Applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision by mid-March.
- Applications will be considered by timestamp date if necessary.
- Applicants may reapply annually as long as they are eligible for the award. Applicants may only receive one AISLE sponsored scholarship per year.
- The application materials submitted must contain the following:
- Completed application form (available for download here)
- Three letters of recommendation that include:
- One (1) letter from a current AISLE member,
- Remaining two (2) letters from any of the following: College professor, faculty member, employer, or someone who can vouch for professional potential.
- Current resume
- Proof of acceptance into a school library licensure program (recent letter of acceptance, official university report card or transcript)
- One concise written statement as indicated on the application form
One scholarship per year will be awarded up to $1000.00
Applicants awarded an AISLE scholarship will receive a voucher entitling them to reimbursement of tuition related to coursework leading to certification as a High School Librarian in Illinois. Applicants awarded a Marilyn Kay Maynard AISLE Scholarship will receive a voucher entitling them to reimbursement of tuition related to coursework leading to certification as a School Librarian in Illinois.
- Vouchers are valid for a 12-month period beginning April 1 of the year awarded.
To be reimbursed, the recipient will be responsible for submitting documentation of expenses and evidence of completion in the form of an official university report card or transcript for the course to the AISLE registrar within thirty (30) days following course completion