The Marilyn Kay Maynard Scholarship
The Marilyn Kay Maynard AISLE Scholarship was created and awarded in 2012 to honor the 26 years that Kay Maynard held the position of Executive Secretary in AISLE. Kay was one of the original Founders of AISLE and served as the first AISLE President in 1988-89. In honor of Kay, 3 scholarships per year will be awarded up to $1000.00 for students who wish to gain licensure to work in Illinois schools as a school librarian.
(AISLE Policy: 3016.6)
- The Marilyn Kay Maynard AISLE Scholarship Award is designed to encourage students who wish to gain licensure to work in Illinois as a school librarian.
- The applicant shall be enrolled in a college or university that has been approved for its undergraduate or graduate programs, including online programs, by the American Library Association or the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (previously NCATE), working towards licensure in Illinois School Libraries.
- The applicant shall be an Illinois Resident.
- The applicant shall be a current member of AISLE. If the applicant is not a current member, AISLE will supply a one-year student membership to first time applicants who are awarded a scholarship.
- The applicant shall be recommended by a current AISLE member.
- The applicant shall carry minimum 3.0 G.P.A. on a 4.0 grading scale.
Application and Selection
- Applicants must complete the application form in its entirety and submit it electronically as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 PM on February 1.
Click here to download the Application Form. Complete and save as a PDF to submit.
- Applications must be time stamped between November 15 and February 1 to be considered by the Grants Committee. Applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision by mid-March
- Applications will be considered by timestamp date if necessary.
- Applicants may reapply annually as long as they are eligible for the award. Applicants may only receive one AISLE sponsored scholarship per year.
- The application materials submitted must contain the following:
- Completed application form (available for download here)
- Three letters of recommendation that include:
- One (1) letter from a current AISLE member,
- Remaining two (2) letters from any of the following: College professor, faculty member, employer, or someone who can vouch for professional potential.
- Current resume
- Proof of acceptance into a school library licensure program (recent letter of acceptance, official university report card or transcript)
- Two concise written statements as indicated on the application form.
Up to three (3) scholarships per year will be awarded in the amount of $1000.00 each. If the applicant is not a current member of AISLE, AISLE will supply a one-year student membership to a first time applicant awarded a scholarship.
Applicants awarded a Marilyn Kay Maynard AISLE Scholarship will receive a voucher entitling them to reimbursement of tuition related to coursework leading to certification as a School Librarian in Illinois.
- Vouchers are valid for a 12-month period beginning April 1 of the year awarded.
To be reimbursed, the recipient will be responsible for submitting documentation of expenses and evidence of completion in the form of an official university report card or transcript for the course to the AISLE registrar within thirty (30) days following course completion.